Thursday, April 06, 2006

Time for a New Lawyer

Or at last one that has read the Constitution.

I cannot find the transcript from Hannity and Colmes last night, so I'll do my best to paraphrase. In between his characterizations of Tom Delay as a, "rich white boy," McKinney's ever-astute lawyer (as far as I can tell, she has more than 2) dropped this little gem:

If [McKinney] did something wrong, why wasn't she arrested on the spot?
Ughh. Try Article I, Section 6 of the United States Constitution:
[Senators and Representatives] shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same...
We may quibble as to what constitutes a "breach of the peace;" but, I would venture to guess that the U.S. Capitol Police are instructed that Congressmen are untouchable while in the building. Apparently McKinney's lawyer never went through such training. What an embarrassment.